Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 2.1.7

Hi,

Am 18.01.2015 um 15:40 schrieb Joerg Bornkessel:

>>> Is there an example what exactly can we do with this? The
>>> Manpage's give there very small information :( Lars?

 Yes, I should have documented that feature a bit... My fault, will try to do in the next days.

>> Have a look at the vdr4arch repository:
>> https://github.com/VDR4Arch/vdr4arch
>
>> We already used this feature using the patch created by Lars.
>
>> This new feature is especially useful when using systemd or other
>> event driven init systems. It now no longer is required to
>> "somehow" construct a command line. Just start VDR
>

> Oh Oh, systemd crap...

 It's not only systemd. In fact, it hasn't anything to do with systemd. But it helps to strip down the various init
scripts, regardless if systemd, Upstart or SysV.

 And of course everything works with the old scripts. :)

>> vdr4arch places the plugin config files to /etc/vdr/conf.available
>> first. It's the user's job to create a symlink to /etc/vdr/conf.d
>> to enable the plugin or delete the symlink to disable a plugin.
>
> this looks like, as has the user a lot of activity to do
> in my opinion, prevent the end user from a lot of editing some files
> or symlinking etc.
> anyway, systemd is not my working place and i will see what ideas
> comes from Lucian M. He is the manager of the systemd crap part in the
> gentoo-vdr-scripts

 It helps distributors for preconfiguring the vdr and its plugins, but also you can created multiple conf.d directories
and symlink the one or the other to /etc/vdr/conf.d to test different configuration without messing with the old and
working config.

 Just play a bit with it, you may find it helpful. "vdr --showargs[=DIR]" will output all options from /etc/vdr/conf.d
or the given directory. You might even use this to generate lines for "old style" init scripts with all options on the
commandline.

Lars.