Re: Raspberry Pi, Streamdev + rpihddevice

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 12:59:58PM +0200, Thomas Reufer wrote:
Especially for devices like Raspberry Pi it would be very nice to have kind of a "standby" function in VDR, which detaches active receivers and call an appropriate function on the primary device to suspend and blank the output. Then resuming VDR would only take a fraction of a second...

I guess that for the cheap ARM boards such as the Raspberry Pi, it is simplest to keep the base hardware "always on" (the base power consumption being so low, and because there is no battery-backed clock or wakeup timer).

Like you say, it would be useful if the tuners and also the HDMI output were suspended.

I wonder if it is possible to detect if anything is connected to the HDMI output and powered on? If the HDMI attached display is disconnected or powered off, it would make sense to suspend the video and audio output (also on the electrical level) and detach all receivers that are not being used for any recordings.

For what it is worth, when I started using softdevice (not softhddevice) several years ago, I developed a method that allows the video decoding to be suspended when there is no interactive user (the system got nvram-wakeup by timer, not by the user pressing the Power button). With a software decoder, it is not only about power savings; it is also about avoiding crashes when the decoder is buggy and you get a glitch in the signal. I am still using the years-old hardware. I am interested in upgrading to something ARM-based (Cubieboard?) at some point, maybe when USB DVB-T2 dongles become commodity (shortly after DVB-T2 is introduced in Germany, I hope).

	Marko