Re: skipping 5/10 seconds

On 06.04.2014 19:06, Peter Münster wrote:
On Sun, Apr 06 2014, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

First and foremost I don't think that we need extra keys for jumping such
short distances as 5 or 10 seconds. Just use "fast forward" or "fast rewind"
for that.

Have you tried 5s steps? I really prefer 5s steps over fast
forward/rewind. With mplayer-plugin I have 6 buttons for 5s steps, 1min
steps and 10min steps, and IMO you skip faster to the right place, than
with fast forward/rewind. Perhaps it's just me...

Perhaps... ;-).

What I would be willing to accept is a patch that makes the skip delta of
the yellow and green keys (currently a fixed +/-60s) configurable.

Yes, that's fine. But what's the problem with a second skip-value for
buttons 1 and 3?

Keys on the remote control are a very limited resource, and I wouldn't
want to waste two of them for a function that is not really necessary.

I might even go as far as making the yellow and green keys skip only a
small distance when pressed and released, and skipping a longer
distance when held pressed (repeat mode). It could even be made so
that the distance increases over time, so the longer you hold the key
pressed, the farther it skips.

For adjusting a clock, it's perhaps ok, but IMO for audio/video it's
not the best ergonomics.

Well, then I'll leave it as is. This was just an idea...

All in all, skipping is done with the yellow and green keys, there will be no
additional keys for "shirt skips", because FFWD/FREW can easily be used for that.
Let's keep it simple!  ;-)

I agree to keep it simple. But would you approve a patch, that adds
just one further key pair (1 + 3) for a second skip value?

No (see above).

The patch would be really simpler and the user experience would be
enhanced!

Or a Boolean configuration option for making 5s-skips instead of fast
forward/rewind?

Well, that's something we can talk about. You could make it so that during
replay the Left and Right keys perform 5s skips, and the FastForward/-Rewind
keys (if present on the user's remote control) still retain their normal
function.

Klaus