Re: aufs instead of mhddfs with vdr 2.1.2

Am Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2013, 11:44:42 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:

> I wanted to get this out of the core VDR code. It was

> a makeshift solution in times where disk sizes were still relatively small.

> Nowadays we have disk sizes in the terabyte range, which should be enough for

> a VDR.

It is certainly not enough for me, and I will never run VDR without being able

to spread directories over disks. I always have several disks, right now 4

of them. When the capacity of modern disks sharply increases, I remove my

oldest disk or the one most aged (smartctl) and add a new one. Over the

years, this has proven to be very simple and reliable. Your removal of

functionality makes that impossible. IMHO, RAID is not practical for that

situation, and I do not really trust RAID and probably never will.

something like aufs should make it much easier to use VDR video

data over network file systems, even by non-vdr software. A vdr

plugin enabling more than one file system would not be adequate, it would

still lock users with more than one video disk into having to use vdr or

vdr-specific plugins on all clients even if all they want to do is just

viewing recordings. The clients needs a unified view over all vdr video

directories.

and of course such a plugin is reinventing the wheel with all those

unionfs variants around.

--

Wolfgang