Re: RFC: one or many positioners?

2013/4/21 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxx>:
> I'm currently implementing support for steerable dishes, loosely based
> on https://linuxtv.org/patch/12911. In doing so, I'm defining a virtual
> base class cPositioner, which defines all the functions necessary to
> control the positioner. An implementation of cDiseqcPositioner will
> allow control of "DiSEqC 1.2" and "USALS" motors. A plugin can derive
> from cPositioner and implement its very own way of controlling a
> positioner (like through a serial or USB port or whatever).
>
> The question I have now is: will it be enough to have *one* single
> positioner
> in any given setup, or are there actually users who have more than one
> positioner?
> Supporting only a single positioner (as is done in the aforementioned patch)
> of course simplifies things quite a bit. So I wouldn't want to add this
> level of complexity unless there is a real need for it.

Hmm, I guess most only have single positioner. But this might change
if VDR actually supported more than one. :)

However, it would be nice to be able to use twin or quad LNB in
positioner, even if using diseqc switches.. I have no idea how to
configure this. :)

An example, my system has four tuners. Each one has 4-to-1 diseqc
switch. They are configured like this:

# tuner 1:
# 1: 27.5W
# 2: 7W/8W
# 3: 1W
# 4: motor
#
# tuner 2:
# 1: 27.5W
# 2: 4W/5W
# 3: 1W
# 4: 16E
#
# tuner 3:
# 1: 1W
# 2: 13E
# 3: 19.2E
# 4: 4.8E
#
# tuner 4:
# 1: 1W
# 2: 13E
# 3: 19.2E
# 4: 4.8E

My positioner actually has twin LNB. I'd like to connect the other
output to tuner2 input 2, but there is no way this would work even
with heavy patching of VDR..

I think the current diseqc.conf is a bit too complicated. I think it
should be better to use some approach where you select LNB type
(universal Ku, C band etc), then add Diseqc switches (1.0 or 1.1), and
positioners.. Diseqc 1.0 and 1.1 switches can be cascaded.

Perhaps just a text file with lines similar to this:
S16E: T1 C1 U1 G

(tuner 1, committed switch input 1, uncommitted switch input 1, use
GotoX positioner)

The file could be scanned in order when finding tuner for given
satellite. That way you could have priorities, so a tuner with
positioner is not "wasted" if some other tuner can tune..

Just my thoughts.. :)

--
Teemu Suikki
http://www.z-power.fi/