Re: Which epg for Sky UK

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:05:54 +0200
Dimitar Petrovski <dimeptr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, I maintain the eepg plugin, if you send me a stack trace, or add it as
> an issue here:
> http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/plg-eepg
> I will look into it.
> I'm using the eepg plugin for a very long time without any problem.
> For the memory leak, I have not I have not reproduced it in my usage of
> vdr, so if someone can provide me with the steps to reproduce it, which
> channel it happens on and so on I will try to fix it.

I haven't associated the leak with any channel. I don't use VDR for
live viewing very much, mainly for recording and playback. The memory
seems to leak even when I'm not actively using VDR at all. I thought it
must be caused by "harvesting" the EIT in the background. I think I
tried using valgrind once, but it completely failed to notice the leak
for some reason (perhaps valgrind doesn't apply to plugins?).

VDR also used to "spam" my syslog with messages including the names of
programmes, but it doesn't seem to be doing that any more. I think it
was caused by something slightly amiss with Freeview's EPG that VDR
thought it should warn about. This could be related to the leak, but I
haven't used EEPG for a while.

The other reason for me to use the patch is for Freeview HD's EIT. The
encoding is exactly the same as Freesat's but I think the difference is
that it still uses standard PIDs instead of non-standard ones. So EEPG
would have to detect the encoding by using the flag bytes at the start
of the string instead of by the PID they're from.