Re: NEWT checks for similiar timers, MODT does not

On 14.12.2012 16:27, Malte Forkel wrote:
Am 14.12.2012 10:23, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
On 13.12.2012 23:19, Malte Forkel wrote:
Hi,

I noticed the following when using SVDRP: With the command NEWT, you
can't create a timer if there already exists a timer for the same
channel, day, start time and stop time. But you can create some dummy
timer and then use the MODT command to make it identical to the existing
timer. Here is a sample session:

Looking at svdrp.c and timers.c, cSVDRP::CmdNEWT will use
cTimers::GetTimer to look for an existing timer, cSVDRP::CmdMODT does
not seem to perform a check.

I'm not sure about the rationale. What would I break if I dropped the
test in cSVDRP::CmdNEWT? Are there better workarounds than creating a
dummy timer?

NEWT performs a simple test to prevent the user from inadvertently
creating duplicate timers. With MODT things are somewhat more complex,
because the timer is already in the list, so it would have to check
whether there is an *other* timer with the same settings. Sure, this
could also be done, but then again just let's keep things simple...

Oh, I would like to argue for dropping the test in NEWT! I think that
might make things even more simple (at least for me :-)) and more
consistent. After all, there is nothing that keeps me from creating
duplicate timers with any of the other interfaces I use. And if an
application wanted to make sure it does not create duplicate timers,
comparing the new definition to the output of LSTT would be rather easy
to implement. Plus, VDR itself does not seem to have any problems with
duplicate timers.

On the other hand, if there is a test in NEWT, I think it should check
other attributes as well, e.g. active vs inactive and recording path.

My use case is this: I'm writing a script that changes the names ofsome
timers created by EPGSearch. Because EPGSearch will revert any changes
to these timers, the script disables the original timer and then creates
a new one with a different name. The latter part requires some trickery
at the moment, because NEWT rejects the new timer even though it is
different from the original onein the two attributes mentioned.

Well, if nobody objects I have no problem with removing that check
from NEWT.

Klaus