Re: Digital Devices (Linux 4 Media) 4 port (8 tuner) octopus/Duoflex experiences

On 26-11-12 11:28, Davide Chiarini wrote:

2012/11/26 Oliver Schinagl <oliver+list@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have tried googling for some up to date linux! information but found very little.

I think you've already answered your question here.
Being an early adopter rarely pays off in the linux world, unless you have the skills to troubleshoot the drivers yourself and enjoy doing so.
The 'ddbridge' is already in the kernel. They claim on their site that it has linux support. Their linux4media site sells these specifically aimed at the linux market.

So in theory, it should work and should work well. But since there's so little results (price related?) under linux for this 2008 or so board, could be either really good (it works and works well) or nobody has bought it yet.
Having had such problems in the past with other devices, even if 200€/8 tuners sounds like a good deal it really depends on how much you value your free time.
It's 200E for 2 tuners only. each additional 2 tuners is about 150E. So you  pay 50E for the 'base' board, without any tuner, and 150E for each dual-tuner tuner module, which can be either DVB-S2 or DVB-T/DVB-C.
Also keep in mind that theoretically every tuner needs its own cable coming from the dish, right now I have two of them and having 8 for me would be impossible (if you want to make them go inside the walls through existing pipes).
Well I don't even have a dish yet, but this would be for future upgrades of course. Yes running 8 wires through the wall is a lot, but manageable.
FYI, my vdr box is an old PIII 1000 with 2 DVB-S2 tuners and one DVB-T (all of them PCI). I've been using it for about 4 years now.

ciao
davide