Re: Filesystem hierachy standard patch needs review.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Currently that might be true. Nevertheless it would be good to enhance
> vdr to make it friendlier in that regard though. E.g treating short
> lived data like a one shot timer or automatically detected stations
> differently than actual configuration like the ordering of stations.

Why would you assume single timer recordings, or any recordings at all
are short-lived? If anything users tend to record shows and watch them
at some point in the non-immediate future -- the weekend for example,
when they're more likely to have time sitting around watching tv. I
know several people who record entire series and don't even start
watching them until all the episodes are recorded so they don't have
the irritating wait of a week+ between them. Then there are houses,
like mine, where one person will watch a recording one day, then
somebody else will watch the same thing some days later.

By now you should get the point that assuming recordings are
short-lived is bad, automatically deleting them is bad, etc. Typical
user behavior from my observation certainly isn't record something,
watch it immediately, then delete it.