Re: VDR form packages

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Marx <acc.for.news@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not as good in writing scripts as you :) Do you install VDR from
> sources, or build debian packages?

Scripting is really easy once you know it. If not, no worries, it's
easy to learn too. :)

When I first started with VDR, I installed it. Then I switched to
building debian packages at one point. Later I realized it was useless
for me to bother installing/using packages and I just compile & run it
from it's source dir. I have a /vdr symlink which I always point to
whichever source dir I want to use to `cd /vdr` always gets me to the
current source dir, or `/vdr/vdr` always runs my current VDR. For me
it just didn't make sense to have plugins here, VDR binary there,
settings over there, other data over here.. But the great part is
everyone can configure it however they like!

> I know it's not so hard to build everything manually and in fact I did it
> many times. Hovewer packages in yavdr or e-tobi repositories were easier to
> install, and it was sure they will work together. Sometimes VDR or packages
> are patched to work better by maintainer of repo. I don't need to follow all
> git svn of all plugins and cope with some problems of compiling it myself,
> if somebody did it. I think it's better to use his work because it's better
> in it and additionally i test his work. Sometimes I'm in hurry to test some
> "super new plugin". Aptitude, search, install, restart vdr and test - it
> gets a few minutes and afterall it's easy to unistall it too. And while new
> version of VDR is published, i simple aptitude, update and go - I have new
> version with all new plugins.
> That's why I like having VDR in packages.
> Knowing that Debian has "master od VDR" ;) in his team is very good info and
> I will try to stick with this version

Those repositories are definitely a good choice for some people. At
the end of the day, people seem to prefer `plug & play` solutions. I
don't bother with them mostly because they have a ton of junk I don't
need/want patched in, and they don't support all the NA needs as far
as I know (maybe it has changed now). I also like to test VDR &
plugins so _for me_ working with source is the best in case I need to
edit something for testing purposes.

I give the same advice for VDR as I do with any software in general --
just pick what works best for your needs/wants. There's some software
I'd much rather apt-get than compile myself. :)