Re: Filesystem hierachy standard patch needs review.

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 19:24:17 +0300
Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > FHS patch
>
> This change would be welcome (I'm the VDR package maintainer of Mageia
> distribution), though it hasn't really been a big issue for me.
>
> A couple of comments regarding the INSTALL part:
>
> 06.04.2012 16:01, Christopher Reimer kirjoitti:
> > +CACHEDIR = /var/cache/vdr
>
> > +CONFDIR = /var/lib/vdr
>
> Just for the record, this is a bit against FHS rules ("Users must
> never need to modify files in /var/lib to configure a package's
> operation."), but there really is not better option either... (maybe
> fhs-discuss@ could be asked for a clarification).

vdr has 2 types of conf files -
1) internal databases - like channels.conf, setup.conf
2) real conf files like scr.conf, diseqc.conf etc

1 should be in /var/lib/vdr
2 should be in /etc/vdr/

This is kind of hard to handle properly as vdr doesn't make this
distinction. conf files in /var/lib is a no-go, application changed
files in /etc is a no-go either.

> > +LOCDIR = $(PREFIX)/share/locale
> > +PLUGINLIBDIR = $(PREFIX)/lib/vdr
> > +RESDIR = $(PREFIX)/share/vdr
>
> > +VIDEODIR = /srv/vdr/video0
>
> Ditto here, "/srv contains site-specific data which is served by this
> system.", which video data really isn't. (btw, why 'video0' and not
> 'video' like is VDR default?)

If video is served by vdr or not is a bit of opinion. IMHO recordings
is THE data served by vdr, it should not be hidden somewhere
in /var/lib , in yavdr we also make it available in the local network
by smb and nfs - those we use this directory. video0 , because it
allows for easy extension of storage space, without reconfiguring vdr,
video1, video2 and videoX will be used autmatically by vdr at next
start.