Re: Deinterlace video (was: Replacing aging VDR for DVB-S2)

ke, 2011-01-19 kello 10:18 +0000, Stuart Morris kirjoitti:
> My experience with an nVidia GT220 has been less than perfect. It can
> perform temporal+spatial+inverse_telecine on HD video fast enough, but
> my PC gets hot and it truly sucks at 2:2 pulldown detection. The
> result of this is when viewing progressive video encoded as interlaced
> field pairs (2:2 pulldown), deinterlacing keeps cutting in and out
> every second or so, ruining the picture quality.

I think VDPAU's inverse telecine is only meant for non-even cadences
like 3:2. Motion-adaptive deinterlacing handles 2:2 pullup perfectly
well, so try without IVTC.

> IMHO the best way to go for a low power HTPC is to decode in hardware
> e.g. VDPAU, VAAPI, but output interlaced video to your TV and let the
> TV sort out deinterlacing and inverse telecine.

Well, flat panel TVs have similar deinterlacing algorithms as what VDPAU
provides, but it would certainly be a nice alternative.

> These are the key requirements to achieve interlaced output:
>
> Get the right modelines for your video card and TV. Draw interlaced
> fields to your frame buffer at field rate and in the correct order
> (top field first or bottom field first). When drawing the field to the
> frame buffer, do not overwrite the previous field still in the frame
> buffer. Maintain 1:1 vertical scaling (no vertical scaling), so you
> will need to switch video output to match the source video height
> (480i, 576i or 1080i). Display the frame buffer at field rate and
> synchronised to the graphics card vertical sync. Finally, there is NO
> requirement to synchronise fields, fields are always displayed in the
> same order they are written to the frame buffer, even if occasionally
> fields are dropped.

Interesting. Could you perhaps write full instructions to some suitable
wiki and post the code that you used to do this? I'm sure others would
like to try it too.

--Niko