howto cut recordings with vdr in daemon mode

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to cut recordings using the vdr (on a different machine),
but I don't want the new recording on the same disk as the origin - normally
the disk of the recording has no free space, when I like to start cutting.

So I tried to fake the video-root to get the new recording to another disk.

I tried to link the recordings title directory to a disk, where I do have free
space  and startet the vdr like this:
vdr -v /path-to-disk-with-free-space --edit=/linked-directory-on-disk-with-
free-space

With that call I got the error message, that the recordings title directory is
not a directory. So I tried to change things.
I created the title-directory on the disk with free space and linked the
timestamp-directory to the original recording.

Trying again to cut that recording - vdr keeps on claiming, that the
recordings title directory is not a directory. But this time it is a
directory!

So how can I cut the recording without having to copy it to a new drive?

kind regards

Gero