Re: Replacing aging VDR for DVB-S2

On 3 January 2011 09:52, Adrian C. <anrxc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to replace my VDR with Duron 1200, Skystar2 and GeForce4.
>
> I'm not particulary interested in HDTV but I'd like to prepare the new
> VDR for the future, even though I'm on a budget.

Have a read through this previous thread;
http://www.mail-archive.com/vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg12953.html

In general, get a gt220, as it has built in audio hardware, so that
you should get audio without clock drift relative to the hdmi output.
It is also powerfull enough to do temporal spatial deinterlacing on
1080i material.

If you're on a budget, a gt9500 whould do as well, although it only
has spdif passthrough for audio over hdmi.

> Also with VDPAU, but more importantly in the absence of it would any of
> these CPU be up to the task of processing: Athlon2 X3 450 3.2GHz and
> Pentium E6500 or E6700 3.0GHz.

People are doing 1080p with vdpau on single core atom processors, so
any modern processor that you can buy these days should do, thus all
of the above.

--
-Tor