Re: Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan

On 13/12/10 21:19, Udo Richter wrote:
Am 13.12.2010 11:34, schrieb Steffen Barszus:
That was my point in the beginning. Then: I want to see sqlite3 being
less efficient on insert and fetch or memory consumption. I can not
imagine it (prove me wrong! ;)).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for sqlite you'll have to convert all these
nice epg data structures into sql commands that need to be passed to the
sql engine where an sql interpreter tears everything apart again for
(possibly) on-disk storage, and for querying epg, the whole sql
interpreter thing goes backwards again, or?

With sqlite you usually compile your SQL statements in advance and bind
different values to a compiled statement's parameters as needed. It can
also operate entirely in memory instead of with a file and there are
functions to quickly transfer databases between memory and disc. There's no
client-server overhead either, although that has the disadvantage that
it would be more difficult for another application to use the database
while VDR is running [1]. There's no problem with the data being stored in a
non-text format because of the very good sqlitebrowser.

[1] Maybe there could be an SVDRP command to execute arbitrary SQL
statements, but there'd need to be some agreed way to format the return
values for queries.