Re: EPG DB discussion (was Re: Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan)

Am 12.12.2010 22:27, schrieb Eric Valette:
On 12/12/2010 22:02, VDR User wrote:

(Btw, Klaus has made it clear VDR was never intended to be a
server/client system.  Maybe at some point it will address that need
in a well-thought out way but as it stands now I'm not so sure it's a
good basis for argument.)

On the other hand, with streamdev server, vnsi server, we are approaching the client server mode.

I think the real question for selecting a database are:
    1) do I need a SQL interface,
    2) do I need a client server model,

sqlite is in use in 200MHZ mips router/ Tokyo/Kyoto cabinet can do less but consume even less.

--eric

I was wondering why it must be a SQL DB. The new VDR requires at least one plugin namely sdff- or hdff-plugin So, defining an interface - for instance EPGProvider, with a basic implementation like the one which already exists - and let the user choose if he requires more power and extended functions to store and query the EPG, is a good option. Then he may install a EPGProvider plugin which comes with a sqlite-DB. Actually, sqlite may be good enough to be used for epg data. However I don't see it in the core.