Re: Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:46:32 +0100
Eric Valette <eric.valette@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/12/2010 19:24, VDR User wrote:

> >> That is why Steffen wrote to make it a plugin.
> >
> > EPG support falls into the category of the most basic functionality.
> > I'm not convinced things like this belong as optional plugins to be
> > honest.  Some things, such as VDR's attachment to FF cards, make
> > sense as plugins.  But it seems the automatic answer to everything
> > is 'make it a plugin' now.  So is VDR to become merely a plugin
> > manager with no actual core functionality anymore?  Is it wise to
> > have VDR rely on plugins to be usable at all?  These types of
> > questions deserve consideration when you want to walk on slippery
> > slopes.
>
> Remember that for example in france the DVB-T stream EPG contains
> only the actual program and the next program. So it is hardly useable
> at all.

external epg source is possible allready - i just think the merge and
general handling could be improved :)

> You now have most other video recorder code that use xmltv one way or
> other (tvheadend, myth, ...). I like VDR because it is simple but OSD
> is so poor that it need to be integrated in something else (xine,
> xbmc) to provide a decent GUI and then you need a bunch of plugins
> (streamdev, epgsearch, ...). Plus there is almost no up-to-date
> documentation for plugins, or only in german, no centrailised source
> repositories because of the plugins are developped elsewhere...

vdr-developer.org is a beginning :) and most new development is
announced here too.

> So I second this post and think that decent epg is a basic feature
> for searching program and programmed recording based on epg and that
> dvb-t based stream is not the right way to go because it will contain
> very few infos in most countries.

xmltv epg can be translated and imported into VDR now allready, there
are a couple of other epg providing plugins and scripts as well, the
main problem is available epg data possible to be fetched and
translated.

> For those on linux, look at what qmagneto does and imagine it can
> talk to vdr to program recordings... I use it in cunjunction with
> mpalyer --dumpfile -dumstream to record IPTV streams.

What about live plugin if the epg is imported into vdr ? It can handle
epgsearch searchtimer, normal timer etc - so that allready exist to
some extend :)