Re: xine-lib and vaapi support

On 6 November 2010 14:14, Udo Richter <udo_richter@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 03.11.2010 10:06, schrieb Theunis Potgieter:
>> I'm considering to upgrade my current p3 system to a hdmi/optical
>> SPDIF and enough expansion slots to fill in dvb-s devices.
>
>> The unkown factor for me is, should I
>> consider a motherboard where the Core i3 (System on Chip) has got a
>> built in hdmi interface? Or would I be better off with nvidia's vdpau,
>> of consider to go ati/amd and what power usage are we looking at?
>> Should I then rely on vaapi support again?
>
> The alternatives for HD output are still not very satisfying.
>
> The best - and most common - chances currently are NVidia / vdpau,
> though you're stuck on a heavyweight graphics card solution based on
> closed source drivers. Plus, NVidia is starting to fade away for onboard
> graphics, limiting the future to separate graphics cards.
>
> Intel graphis and vaapi (Core i3 or GMA X4500HD) is looking very
> promising, however its currently more of a proof-of-concept. I think the
> best implementation is currenly as mplayer frontend.

I was hoping for this for intel solution (less heat and power usage),
but their media boards only comes out with hdmi and no onboard(back
board) optical SPDIF out (you need a casing/enclosure with the optical
module that plugs into the board).

> AMD also supports vaapi, but progress is very slow, and its still very
> buggy. Also, its limited to closed source drivers.

Sounds similar to what nvidia went through.

> Hardware decoder cards exist, but have their own issues. Extension HD
> works, but seems already to be a dying solution. The Broadcom Crystal
> decoder works, but has no own output and no de-interlacer. The
> Technotrend 6400 FF HD card would be a nice simply-works solution, but
> is fighting delays over delays. (Current release plan is Feb 2011,
> further delays would surprise no one any more)

Trying to avoid transcoding other media files back to mpeg2 for the FF HD card.

> I am facing the same problem, and decided not to rush anything, esp.
> since I still don't have an HD capable TV anyway.

Maybe I need to wait for other manufacturers to provide intel (SoC)
hdmi solutions with optical SPDIF out on the backpanel, reason being I
require optical as my receiver/amplifier (NAD T761) is from the older
generation that is not hdmi compliant. Trying to avoid this upgrade
too.

The best board that that I can see so far is this one but requires
external graphics card and is still a desktop (price comparison)
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1846

I just need to buy 2x (pci-e to pci) converters for my current 4x pci
dvb-s cards in the pentium 3.

And I would still have some pci-e slots free for future use.

I have this card already: nVidia Geforce 8400GS, Architecture:   G98 A2
and it works great currently with vdr + streamdev as a client +
xineliboutput.vdpau, power usage is still a bit high though.

The goal is to consolidate the two machines to one machine which runs 24/7.

My current power usage for vdr in the home is 330W. I know this by
using a power/electricity monitor device.

Thanks,
Theunis