Re: Understanding AC-3

Am 02.09.2010 19:05, schrieb Rob Davis:
On 02/09/10 11:05, L. Hanisch wrote:
Hi,

Just an additional info for the ones who want to help - the
pvrinput-plugin passes through the TS from the HD PVR to vdr, there's
nothing changed.
So hopefully the plugin is not the one to blame for... :-)

I posted a sample PAT and PMT of the HD PVR in february, perhaps it can
be used to clarify something.

http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2010-February/022400.html

How do you create the PAT and PMT files and then understand them.
I'm pretty sure that sample file was only mp3 input instead of AC3 digital which is what I use now..

 Yes, you may be right. Just 'cat' a sample video into a file and use 'hexdump' to format the output.
 One TS packet has a length of 188 bytes, I like 4 lines with 47 bytes.

 This will output the first 6 packets (6 * 188 = 1128):
 hexdump -e '"" 47/1 " %02x" "\n"' -n 1128 test.ts

 If every fourth line starts with the TS sync byte 0x47 you'll know you've done that right.

This will help you understand the first 4 bytes, esp. the PID is the 5 lower bits of the second byte and the 8 bits of the third byte:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream

The PAT will always have PID 0, in the PAT will be the PID of the PMT. There may be more than one PMT-PID in the PAT, one for each programme.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_Specific_Information

 After staring some hours at those bytes you'll see the "matrix"... ;-)

Lars.

Lars.