Re: PVRINPUT plugin and "black/cinema bars"

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Martin Dauskardt <md001@xxxxxx> wrote:
> The mpeg is not delivered by the broadcaster, it is generated by the encoder.
> The content of the header is a result of the V4L2_CID_MPEG_VIDEO_ASPECT
> setting done by the application.

If the aspect ratio flag is unreliable, again, you can always just use
the resolution and  calculate it.

>> You _could_ write some functions to detect and remove letterboxing,
>> though I don't know anyone motivated enough to actually do it.
>
> The main goal of the pvrinput-plugin is to use the hardware encoder.I think it
> is a bad idea to do software-based on-the-fly-recoding.

If you want to limit the plugin to using only the hardware then I
agree.  However, if you want to provide capabilities beyond what the
hardware is capable of then software is the only other place to do it.
 This is perfectly fine, although it probably means the user wasted
his money on a hardware decoder if he's just going to do software
decoding anyways.  It doesn't hurt to put more consideration into what
you want/need before pouring money into hardware.  I know guys that
threw a lot of money at hardware decoders only to replace them with
cheap vdpau-capable video cards.  To each his own I suppose. :)

Cheers