Re: xine vdpau not working?

On Saturday 09 January 2010 03:58:49 Simon Baxter wrote:

> But VDR doesn't work as well as under xv.  It's slower changing channels
>  and watching (SD) recordings freezes things for a few seconds.  Also, the
>  quality is actually worse - during "action scenes" objects seem to be a
>  bit jerky and have "lines" momentarily.  Only advantage, under vdpau the
>  cpu sits at about 40%, where under xv it sits 50-70%.
>
> Any thoughts?

I had the same kind of issues you describe (bad frame rate, high cpu load,
tearing, picture freezing for a long while etc) and only fix I found was to
disable the composite extension in Xorg. You can do it simply by adding

Section "Extensions"
  Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

to xorg.conf. This will make it impossible to use the hud osd so expect some
hideous scaling artifacts, but the cpu load stays well under 10% on a Sempron
LE-1250 clocked at 1.8GHz and frame rates are smooth with no tearing.