Re: [OT] mini-PCIE with Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder (BCM970012) for HD playback with free drivers

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 17:29 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:01:41 +0000
> Laz <laz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The trouble with a purpose-built decoder is that it takes up a valuable
> PCI(-E) slot when there are plenty of motherboards with onboard graphics
> which should be able to do hardware decoding, even if it does currently
> limit the choice to NVidia. In the short term (providing software as
> well as drivers supports these cards) a separate decoder has the
> advantage that you could pair it with ATI graphics and benefit from FRC
> too.
>
> I think that the future may ultimately lie with OpenCL.

The Crystal HD decoder will doubtless appear in netbooks very soon, and
I fully expect thin Intel Atom PCs to also feature it on-board. When
those boards/machines appear, we will be on the way to a *reliable* open
source STB which supports modern HD codecs + playback.

As the driver is being taken into the linux mainline kernel, it'll be
one less piece of the puzzle to have to checkout nightly SVNs for or
rely on a binary blob from NVidia for. That additional choice is surely
of great benefit to us all.

Maybe then I'll be able to replace my aging FF technotrend card +
full-height case :) ... and best of all I'll then be able to justify
spending a small fortune on an LCD or Plasma :D

gdh