Re: Shutting a system down. (was: vdr shutdownskript - wrong time)

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Paul Menzel
<paulepanter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.12.2009, 20:00 -0800 schrieb VDR User:
>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Klaus Schmidinger
>> <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > At some point the shutdown mechanism apparently became "rocket science"
>> > and I decided to no longer touch it (especially since I don't even use
>> > it myself).
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> Personally I don't see any real reason to ever shut down/wakeup
>> feature.  Maybe that's useful for guys running VDR on laptops or old
>> pc's that consume a lot of power(?).  I only use VDR in my living room
>> as my main tv/media source, and on a test box for messing around with
>> but that's it.  I don't actually watch tv on a computer monitor.
>
> Sorry, I do not get your reasoning. Do you mean if a system uses less
> than 5 – or a different number – watts it does not need to be shut down?

Whether or not to shut it down is completely the decision of the user.
 But for example there might be some guys worried about running their
laptop battery down so they prefer to shut it down.  Or some guy who
is really concerned with his power usage in general and wants
everything off if he isn't using it.

However, in my case since VDR is my main tv/media source, it would be
annoying to have to boot the computer every time someone wanted to
watch/listen to something, therefore the box stays on 24/7.  Thus,
never having use for shutting down.