Re: Dynamic PIDs

Klaus Schmidinger kirjoitti:
> On 24.11.2009 22:38, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>>> Sure, but why "cycle" them through various values, and not use the same
>>> ones for the same languages?
>>>
>> As far as I can see they keep them the same, and VDR retunes just
>> because the number of tracks changes.
>>

>>> As long as the PID switch takes place outside a show, that's of course ok.
>>> Switching them *inside* a show is IMHO not a good idea.
>>>
>> The change of active PIDs takes place when a show begins, causing 1-2s
>> of stream to go missing due to the retune as Jouni described in the
>> initial post.
>>

> It sure wouldn't hurt if they changed the PIDs a little earlier.
> Other channels do that.

True.  I don't know, however, if it is reasonable to request YLE to
change the pids before the actual programme stream starts.

It seems things look clearer.  When the show starts, then within 1-2
seconds the break starts, then there is the break of 1-2 seconds, after
that everything is smooth.  The biggest actual annoyance is that
nowadays the titles are often after the first scene, so there is a part
of the actual show right in the beginning.  It often happens that about
30 seconds of subtitling is lost at the beginning of the show; probably
as it is sent during those precious first seconds.

yours,
       Jouni