Re: livebuffer patch improvements suggestions.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Timothy D. Lenz <tlenz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wouldn't work very well with HD video. Our locals (ATSC) use 8-13Gb/hour
>
> VDR User wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Tommi Lundell <prelude@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> 1) RAM is cheap now days. Can I use RAM to keep buffer data?
>>> (System running from USB stick so only reason to start Hard Disk is when
>>> use recordings)
>>>
>>> 2) Patch only record current channel. It would be nice if i can select
>>> channels from lists where buffers are active.
>>> Example. i change channel and noticing that program what i want to look
>>> is
>>> already running so i simply press "jump backward" button and start to
>>> look
>>> program from beginning.
>>> (2GB can keep about 100 minutes in buffers. If i select 5 different
>>> channels
>>> that i got 20mins buffer in every channel)
>>
>> There was some talk a while back about implementing a live tv buffer
>> into VDR.  Many users don't like the idea of their harddrive recording
>> 24/7 so it was mentioned to be able to buffer to ram just as you're
>> asking about.  I personally do NOT want to buffer to harddrive,
>> especially non-stop.  However, I'm all for buffering to RAM since it
>> _is_ very cheap these days for 2-4GB.  I don't know how much of a
>> priority this is to Klaus but I'd recommend searching the mailing list
>> for that thread because he did participate in the discussion.

On the contrary 2-4GB should be just fine for typical live buffering
use.  If you want an hour worth of HDTV buffering you're probably
better off setting timers to record the shows you want but regardless
you can just add more ram to support more buffering time.  Btw, I have
several hour-long HDTV recordings and none of them go over 3GB.