Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Paul Menzel <paulepanter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 03.11.2009, 09:49 +0200 schrieb Michael Stepanov:
> IMHO nVidia Ion is much better option.

Did you try both options or is this just your point of view from reading
the specs?

> Especially for HDTV.

As far as I know the Beagle Board is supposed to play 720p without any
problems. See for example [1]. The NVIDIA ION is supposed to do 1080p
with VDPAU, but I think I do not need it yet.

+ The Beagle Board should use less power.
- More people run and test x86 hardware.
• Both use proprietary drivers.

Agree with you. But 720p on the Beagle Board is a hack while nVidia Ion is reality ;) In any case this is just my opinion. You can find easily case, MB with different options such external PSU, PCI extension or ready made HTPC based on nVidia Ion. Regarding the power consumption. I don't think that the difference between Ion and Beagle Board is extremely big. More efficient way to reduce energy consumption is replace all kitchen appliances to energy save ones, use thermostat to control temperature, switch off unnecessary electrical devices  and use energy saving lamps :)

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnDpH3543Q

Cheers,