Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

The goal is to have a VDR device which consumes the „least possible“
amount of power. I heard that ARM based devices are good for this.

Does anyone on this list have any experiences using ARM based devices?

1. Since the boards are mostly small one needs to use mostly USB
devices, doesn’t one?
2. Is the performance high enough to playback SDTV? It should.
3. What about HDTV?

I have N810 (Arm 2420 Omap) and tested the playback of sdtv with it by using the mplayer as a player which connected to VDR streamdev server. For a while the playback was good but then there were also moments where the playback or sounds get scattered.

For fun I was also planning to build the vdr-sxfe for N810 but newer finished that one... (I was not able to find prebuild xine-libs and friends for Maemo, so I would have needed to build those and couple of other dependencies first and I did not had enough time for that)

4. Especially the Beagle Board [1][2] was covered a lot in the press.
But it is not completely free, i. e. the specifications and the
toolchain is not freely available, is not it [3]? Sorry, if I am wrong
about this.

Openembedded supports beagleboard among many other targets so you can use that to build toolchain, bootable image and applications for the beagleboard.
(See the angstrom distribution for example)

Mika