Re: Plugin compiler arguments / Make.config

Hi!

Sorry for digging out that old posting, but for my plugin I ran into
that problem too.

I wonder why no other plugin authors shared there opinion and how they
fix it. As I understand it every plugin must be changed whenever VDR
introduces changes in that area and if the VDR compiling user doesn't
use (and adopt)  Make.config. IIRC we already had that when
introducing the -fPIC option. So I think that the current system isn't
a clean one.

So what do you think? Klaus?

2009/7/10 Frank Schmirler <vdr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi there,
>
> since vdr-1.7.3, VDR is compiled with the additional arguments
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
> Plugins should be compiled with the same arguments as otherwise one might get
> unresolved symbols when loading the plugin. Consistently, in vdr-1.7.4 these
> defines have been added to the plugin part of Make.config.template. But that
> won't fix anything for the people who don't use a Make.config at all (those
> who do, need to check if something has changed in the template when updating).
> How could this problem be solved conveniently?
>
> I'd opt for copying Make.config.template to Make.config if no Make.config
> exists yet. A good place to do this would be in "make include-dir". The
> documentation and UPDATE files should remind those who copy Make.config from
> an older release to fit in necessary changes.
>
> Other options:
> * Additional file to include by VDR and plugin Makefiles with such "mandatory"
> defines - this somewhat contradicts the idea of Make.config.

I opt for this one.

Regards,
Andreas

> * In the Makefile of each affected plugin, check for the presence of
> Make.config. If it's missing, check the VDR version and if required, add the
> defines - naah!
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

http://andreas.vdr-developer.org --- VDRAdmin-AM & EnigmaNG & VDRSymbols