Re: [Announce] vdr-remoteosd-0.1.0 and vdr-svdrposd-0.1.0

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 07:28:08 +0200, Steffen Barszus wrote
Well explained, Steffen. Thanks.
Just a few additional notes:

> You have streamdev-server and svdrpservice/osd plugins running on
> the server. You have running streamdev-client and remote-osd, remote-
> timer and whatever else plugin running on the client(s)

svdrpservice is not a serverside but a client side plugin. It allows multiple
plugins on the same client to share a single SVDRP connection to the server
(remember, SVDRP accepts only one connection at a time). So e.g. while epgsync
downloads the server's EPG you can still edit the server's timers.

> The client would carry the xineliboutput plugin and you connect on
> the client machine to the client machine vdr.

Just to avoid confusion: xineliboutput on the client is just one possibility.
Any output plugin will do (softdevice, dxr3, reelbox3, ...).

In general my plugins become useful as soon as multiple VDR instances come
into play. On the server you'd typically put streamdev-server, svdrposd, femon
and dummydevice. The client runs some sort of output plugin, streamdev-client,
remoteosd, epgsync, femon and either remotetimers or timersync.

Note that the client VDR may run on the same machine as the server VDR. That's
the setup described in the xineliboutput README for real multi client. I'd
rather label it the "thin client" approach:

   **Server Machine*************************************
   * DVB card         > SERVER-VDR > streamdev-server
   * streamdev-client > CLIENT-VDR > xineliboutput

   NETWORK

   **Client Machine*************************************
   * xineliboutput frontend

as opposed to "fat client":

   * DVB card         > SERVER-VDR > streamdev-server

   NETWORK

   * streamdev-client > CLIENT-VDR > output plugin of your choice

Fill in xineliboutput as the output plugin and add the frontend - you end up
with the same components for both approaches, just the network is at a
different place.

Best regards,
Frank