Re: making VDR ext4-ready

jori.hamalainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am Montag 08 Juni 2009:
> >> On 07.06.2009 01:58, Marcel Witte wrote:
> >> So ext4 seems to be perfect for a video-partition, but to make it more
> >> perfect, it would be nice if VDR could use the fallocate()-systemcall
> >> as mentioned in the article. This would prevent fragmentation in the
> >> file
>
> system.
>
> > Udo wrote:
> >Sounds like a good plan, but unfortunately fallocate requires you to know
>
> in
>
> >advance how big a file will be. This is not true for VDR recordings. And
> > if you fallocate with too small or too big sizes, you'll end up with
>
> fragmentation
>
> >or smaller chunks of unused space again. (All in all, this is probably
> > only important for concurrent recordings anyway.)
>
> Well you can predict file size for certain extent. As VDR has the split
> recording
> option built in. That is the maximum filesize.
>
> - If you have 1h10min timer.
> - Allocate 1st file upto split size
> - Calculate average BW at the same time you are recording
>   - You could even store this
> - If file is too small, allocate new file for remaining time with average
> BW + overhead
>
> If you have 10min timer (or short timer which will cause filesize under
> split size)
> - if you store average BW what channels are having you could allocate
> directly estimated size
>
> Naturally this is not 100% accurate, and would cause some big size
> fragmentation.
>
> For EXT4 it would be nice:
> - fallocate(4GB)
> - open file for write
> - close file after 3GB
> - automatic fdeallocate(1GB)

This was exactly the idea I had... You know the average bitrate and the timer-
length, or if used the length of one "split-file". And I think 99% of all
recordings will not be aborted while recording. So this would be the best way
to make use of the ext4-extends.

And because of the new libc/kernel you need: You can use #defines ;) also we
have a development branch (1.7.x) an until this goes stable I think ext4 is a
standard-file system (Fedora, Ubuntu and openSUSE will use it as default in
the next versions)