Re: How to change channels.conf externally into a running vdr?

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Seppo Ingalsuo <seppo.ingalsuo@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

In a setup with multiple vdr instances sharing the same dvb tuners it's
practical to keep one as a master that upgrades channels.conf
automatically and the other instances get periodically a new copy of the
channels configuration. That allows manual editing of channels in the
master vdr and running plugins like autosort there.

I'm now killing my secondary vdr instances while the channels are copied
by a cron job every night. It would be more practical for remote
vdr-sxfe clients to keep vdr processes running to avoid loosing the
streaming connection. Is it possible to signal somehow vdr to reread
it's entire channels.conf when it has been changed externally? By SVDRP?

I'm not aware of such thing, but if someone is going to implement it, there is a need for 2 commands, something like:
- Pause channels update
- Reload channels list + resume update

Otherwise there is a chance VDR update will overwrite the new channel list.

Seppo

PS. It would be nice if multiple displays with shared server related
architecture improvements were on Klaus'  hidden roadmap  ;^) At the
moment when running several vdrs there is a mess with channels
synchronization, live tv pausing, live & recording dvb subtitles,
generally problems due to pay-tv watching (CAID as zero) by preventing
allowing pid updates on secondary clients, etc.