Re: How to keep the channel list tidy automatically

On 05/23/09 12:44, Carsten Koch wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 11:47 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> You could also remove all unwanted channels from your list and set
>> "DVB/Update channels" to "names and PIDs". Then the EPG scan would
>> only switch through the desired transponders.
>
> I believe there is room for improvement.
>
> Of course I want *all* channels I can use
> and I want new channels, too, if can use them.
>
> And I do not want to go through my list of channels
> manually all the time, find those that I cannot view
> and delete them manually.
>
> I believe VDR could do a much better (more thorough,
> less error-prone) job at that than I ever could.
>
> Here is a list of improvements that would greatly
> help maintaining a clean and useful channel list:
>
> 1) When VDR does its EPG scan, it switches to all
>    channels anyway. Why not test each channel and
>    see if it actually delivers data?

Actually it only tunes to *transponders*, not individual channels.

>    If it does, set a new configuration field to 0.
>    If it does not, increment that field by one.
>    Lets call this field the "absent" value.
>    The reason why we do not get any data does not
>    matter. Maybe the channel is temporarily not
>    broadcasting. Maybe it has ceased to exist.
>    Maybe I do not have a cam for it. Maybe I have
>    a suitable cam, but no subscription.
>
> 2) When zapping, automatically skip channels that
>    have an "absent" value of > 5 (maybe that value
>    should be configurable).
>
> 3) Do not display channels anywhere that have an
>    "absent" value of > 5 (maybe that value
>    should be configurable. If you set it to zero,
>    all useless channels will show up again).
>
> 4) A "cleanup" run could remove all channels
>    that have an absent value that exceeds a
>    certain number (maybe 50).
>
> 5) You could define additional criteria that
>    would increment the "absent" value during
>    an EPG scan.
>    For example:
>    5a) the channel does not broadcast one of the
>        audio languages that I have configured as
>        the set of languages that I can understand.
>    5b) the channel broadcasts video, but with less
>        than 1 Mbit/s.
>        (That would get rid of all those advertising
>         channels which only broadcast slide shows).

Sounds like a perfect task for a plugin - with tons of
config parameters and endless threads about what makes sense
and what doesn't ;-) (SCNR). At any rate, it's way
too complex for the core VDR code, and goes against the
KISS principle.

Klaus