Re: Best practices for running vdr-xine

On Wednesday 29 April 2009, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Has anybody made some kind of pros and cons analysis between
> vdr-xine and xineliboutput.
> Which is better or are they just different ?

I've tried to set up *something* that would give me a picture on X11, the old
Hauppauge cards only have s-video outputs and, well, today with HDMI and
FullHD projectors that just doesn't cut it anymore.

I compiled and installed xineliboutput-1.0.4 and it was really trivial to get
going. I use http streaming to a Phonon/Xine based Qt client on the same
system and stuff kind of works. Half the channels never give any picture even
though they tune just fine on VDR and normal s-video watching shows them just
fine. Also the OSD isn't working making normal VDR use a hassle and I'm forced
to switch the the s-video side to see EPG, timers etc.

Perhaps the supplied vdr-sxfe (or something like that) binaries work better,
but from my initial tests that client didn't show most channels either.

So xineliboutput can't be what budget card people use, so I guess it's time to
test vdr-xine. My initial gut feeling is that VDR isn't meant for X11 output
at all, and it just happens to be possible to kludge it somehow.

I'd be extremely happy to be larted into submission so that I see a light
though. :)

--
Jan Ekholm
jan.ekholm@xxxxxxxxxxxx