Re: Question about VDR changes for a high-color osd.

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Quoting Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

>> Why not go all the way and implement an opengl rendered OSD with vdpau?
>> This would of course require information from vdr in a slightly different
>> form; ie. semantically instead of pixels. I'd suggest trying to get the OSD
>> information as HTML from VDR, then allowing the frontend to render it in any
>> way it deems suitable, with fancy animation, transition effects, icons etc.
>> This might also make it easier to implement text-only OSD, eg for terminal
>> connections.
>>

> I don't think that HTML is a good idea, it should be more general. I
> would suggest XML with SVG for graphics and animations. Together with
> XSLT it would be easy to have different themes.
>
> Gerald

I second this proposal (esp. SVG for resolution scalability). XML with
SVG provides a lot of possibilities. If you want to have animations etc.
then PNG-format provides means for this as well. OpenGL does not provide
sufficient added value for this type of usage, IMO, but it will make
things way more complicated.

Full colour OSD with above mentioned means would provide real nice
platform for OSD developers.

There is at least one drawback with this idea and that's additional CPU
power requirements. Maybe simple XML and SVG would not be too CPU hungry
after all..

Pasi