Re: Instability with recordings on VDR-1.7.4 when recording to a NTFS partition

Hawes, Mark schrieb:

> /If I pause live video then restart it starts in slo-mo i.e. judders, and/
>
>>>/ then eventually freezes, but may then start again, still juddering …./
>
>>>/ and freezing …/
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ Well, then I have no idea why it wouldn't work with an NTFS partition,/
>
>>/ while it does work with others./
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ Klaus/
>

>> Hi Klaus,
>

>> I have similar problems using a NFS share under some circumstances:
>

>> The general problem is that the index file stops growing after a few
>
>> seconds, while the 00001.ts file growing normally.
>

>> 1. Using a local HDD with ReiserFS for recording, everything works well.
>

>> 2. Using NFS V3 with the mount options tcp,hard,sync the index file
>
>> stops growing.
>

>> 3. Using NFS V3 with the mount options tcp,soft,async the index file
>
>> keeps growing. I was happy figured that out, but there seems to be
>
>> another problem.
>

>> While having heavy network load this problem occurs again.
>

>> An example:
>

>> Cutting a movie on my NFS share, while recording a new movie to the same
>
>> NFS share causes in the same problem, the index file stops growing.
>
>> And... it does not start growing again, after the cutting has finished.
>

>> This means that I have to stop/start the recording to get a correct
>
>> index file again.
>

>> Could it be possible, that the process which is writing the index dies
>
>> in some kind?
>

>> I've never had a problem like this in older VDR versions, and I often do
>
>> cutting and recording at the same time.
>

>> BTW: Is the a way to (re)create a new index file for TS like genvdr for
>
>> VDR file did?
>

>> -Günter
>

> Hi,
>

> I have checked the recording directory and sure enough, the index file stops growing after a short while (seconds).
>

> I have tried mounting the NTFS partition with the async option but to no avail, i.e. problem is still there.
>

> BTW: How do I respond to an already open thread? All I seem to be able to do is start a new one.
>

> Mark.

Hi,

o.k. that is exactly the same problem I have.

But here is a missunderstandig: I'm using a network share from my NAS
mounted with NFS filesystem NOT NTFS.

NTFS is a local filesystem on one of your local HDD's.
Using NTFS you don't have a mount option like soft or async.

Perhaps it depends on some kind of speed. NTFS is userspaced not kernel.

I don't know.

I'm using a normal email client like thunderbird, choose the mail I want
to answer to, and everything is ok.

-Günter