Re: auto shutdown (-s) question

On Saturday 07 February 2009, Udo Richter wrote:
> On 07.02.2009 11:26, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> >> VDR does not know whether the shutdown script initiated the shutdown or
> >> decided to ignore it,
> >
> > I suppose it would be quite easy to implement that and maybe some other
> > scenarios as well using shutdown script exit statuses.  For example exit
> > status 0 = shutdown successfully initiated (already in current VDR), 10 =
> > shutdown ignored, 11 = something else, 12 = something else, anything else
> > = an unexpected error occurred.
>
> Unfortunately it's not that easy. Currently, VDR backgrounds the call to
> the shutdown script, and detaches the shutdown script from the VDR
> process. Only because of that, the script can 'survive' the kill of VDR,

Why is that even necessary?  Shutdown scripts could selectively
background+detach things that need to survive killing of VDR and the script
themselves, if any.

> and only because of that the script can display messages via SVDRP.

Hmm, why wouldn't a non-background, non-detached script called by VDR be able
to do that?

> Some shutdown scripts do set
> error levels, but there's no common definition about the meaning of
> error levels.

Right, my post was about mentioning a possibility to add such common
definitions if found feasible.

> Defining error levels for the shutdown script would
> thereby be potentially incompatible to existing scripts.

Sure.  Authors of such scripts get to keep both pieces if their scripts break
due to use of undocumented features ;).  I suppose changing the shutdown
script not to run background+detached would probably be a source of more
incompatibilities though, and ones that script authors would not be
responsible for.