Re: consistent device removal

Udo Richter wrote:
> Definitely something that is worth considering. The patch also brings us
> one step closer towards hotplug support, a feature that seems very
> obvious in times of USB DVB devices.
Yep you are right but IMHO there would be some more work to do:

VDR should compile also without direct Linux DVB kernel support. So we
could get rid of any specific Linux dependency (and use VDR for BSD
based systems like MacOS without patching). Therefore section filtering
should make use of a virtual Read() method in the device class. There
also needs to be an abstraction for signal information so that plugins
like channelscan and femon are not depending on the direct DVB access.
Maybe it makes sense to have a Linux DVB device plugin.

> However this throws the question at which time and in which context it
> is safe to kill a device object without risking that any running process
> gets into trouble because its device is suddenly in bit heaven.
Well this is nifty but most of the proper device shutdown procedure can
be done in the cDevice based class.

Deti