Re: channel-change-prediction, doable? stupid idea?

On 21.01.2009 19:33, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Assumed I have 2 free Tuners and I zapp through the channels of one
> tuner. Would it be possible to tune the 2. tuner to the same time to
> the after next channel in change direction, so that for the next
> channel change in the same direction it would be possible to
> channge to the 2. tuner instead of changing the channels of
> the 1. tuner

Channel switching delay is caused by two delays: First, the time to tune
and lock the new transponder, second, the time till the next compressed
stream starting point (I-Frame or audio syncword) is reached. This
second time can be up to a second by its own.

To get instant switching, you would have to also decode the second
stream in the background, so that the current frame is available the
moment it is needed. Or you can buffer the last GOP of the stream and go
back to that point on channel switch. You would have to ring-buffer up
to one complete GOP permanently in memory to keep the delay from there on.

Both things are tricky to implement, require work on the output devices,
and are probably not worth the effort.

Cheers,

Udo