Re: xineliboutput + vdpau not ready for prime time

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:47:17 +0100
Gerald Dachs <vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have made some experiments with xineliboutput and vdpau, it looked
> promising, but at least I had to give up for now. I have used vdr 1.6.0,
> xineliboutput 1.0.3, nvidia driver 180.22, xine-lib-vdpau from 20090113
> and xinelib 1.1.90hg from 20090114 with vdpau-patch r160.
> I use it with sdtv, because I have only DVB-T and a PVR350.
> The cpu usage for vdr-sxfe goes down from 25% to 7%, but the picture
> is not in sync with the sound. The biggest problem is that if I switch
> channels it happens that the video starts to flicker. You can see that
> between the pictures of the current channel the pictures of the previous
> channel appear. Restarting vdr-sxfe fixes it till the next channel
> switch. In the beginning of my test this happened seldom, but now it
> happens with every channel switch, the problem is that I have no idea
> what configuration change I have done that is to blame.

I had the same problems. I didn't notice that the picture flickering (do
you get big patches of mostly green garbage?) was triggered by channel
changes, but that could well be the case.

I noticed the bad sync too. It seemed to start off slightly out of sync
and get worse the longer I left it running, but I haven't confirmed
that. I'm using HDMI audio, you'd think the video and sound clocks would
therefore be derived from the same clock on the NVidia chip and it
should be easier to avoid loss of sync :-(.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk