Re: 1:1 pixel mapping - a waste of time?

2009/1/6  <jori.hamalainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:>>> I don't know how to do the latter, and even if it is possible in all>> cases. In my setup, I have set up my video card to 1:1 to the panel I>> have (fullHD), since I have material in several different resolutions,>> This is the theory. But you need to remember that you are using TV set as> a monitor, and typical TV sets, even FullHD ones implement overscan on HDMI> input. Some TVs disable overscan via special switch.
Yes, you are right. On my Sony it is called "Täyskuiva" (in finnish),when I had not enabled it, thie TV did overscan IIRC.
> But having overscan it means that having the 1:1 mapping is a bit harder.> You need to find out how much is the real visible resolution and define X-> screen to that resolution.
I'm not sure what you mean by the above, surely you need to setup X touse the native resolution of the panel? Perhas you meant somethingdifferent, as I did notice when I did my setup; that fgrlx (yuch, I'man user of the dreadful fglrx) does a terrible underscan by default,becase it reports a larger screen area trough the HDMI that isactually used (?). I'd assume that nvidia, intel & perhaps some othersdo this better by default.
It is beyond me why an ouput that is used for a digital display usesany kind of over/underscan, but that really was the case. Then Istumbled on this:
<http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36734#post36734>
And got 1:1 mapping at all refresh rates ever since. Thoguh, I stillget terrible tearing - I've heard that the radeon driver should bebetter in video use, but I couldn't get it to work on my card, and Ialso need DRI... I should've bought nvidia, damn.
I used a small program called lcdtest to test the 1:1 mapping. Believewhen I say you do notice the difference =). Also I use a desktop andit is drawn exactly to the edges as it should be.