Re: xineliboutput OSD and playback problems

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Antti Seppälä <a.seppala+vdr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/12/1 Alex Betis <alex.betis@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> Please advice how to configure xineliboutput in the best way...
> I have 1.7.1 + ext64 patches, xineliboutput 1.0.3, nVidia card with latest
> drivers.
>
> After many tests I have the following:
> Using --hud gives best OSD I ever seen, but it shows only the OSD when the
> output window is in focus and no playback. When I select another window
> (loose focus), I see the playback, but this way I can't control it...

Reports about this pop-up occasionally so I'll try to clarify:

You need a compositing window manager to see both the hud osd and
video at the same time.

I recommend xcompmgr because it can run in parallel to your normal
window manager and serve the necessary compositing extensions as an
addition. Of the compositing managers I've tried it also seems to be
the fastest / least cpu intensive.

So install xcompmgr and run:
xcompmgr -n&

prior to starting vdr-sxfe --hud

You'll need to setup xorg.conf so that compositing is enabled. IOW you
should have lines similar to following in you xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
   Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Thanks alot! xcompmgr is definitely takes less than compiz that I've tried to use.

Concerning your other display issues (opengl osd etc.) I'd recommend
trying without patched vdr and maybe latest version of xine-lib.
False alert, I guess I had left a remote session to HTPC from other computer, so that caused high CPU usage.
Right now I've set with XV video and I have about 12-15% CPU with cheap tvtime (mplayer mode) deinterlacing
and 18-20% CPU with non-cheap deinterlacing mode which in my opinion gives best results I could find so far.

OpenGL takes about 2-3% more than that.