Re: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Niels Wagenaar wrote:> -----Original message-----> From: Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@xxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Mon 01-12-2008 12:58> To: VDR Mailing List <vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx>;> Subject: Re:  MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU>>   >> On 1 Dec 2008, at 21:49, Magnus Hörlin wrote:>>>>     >>> I have introduced VDR to at least 20 people (mostly windows-users)>>> over the years, but this may be the day it ends.>>>       >> It appears you think that VDR will never get a plugin that can utilise>> the VDPAU (or similar) api?>>>>     >> Why should it depend on VDR or its plugins? The only reason when VDPAU> would be used, is in combination with software based device output plugins> like the xine & xineliboutput. As soon as Xine supports VDPAU, then the> VDR plugins *should* support it as well.>> For other (read: hardware) output devices, VDPAU isn't used at all.>> And from my point of view, MythTV is still not as accesible compared too> for instance Mediaportal or Microsoft MCE. IMHO, the best combo is still> VDR for DVB viewing in combination with XBMC for multimedia viewing. But> then again, this is my oppinion :-)>> Regards,>> Niels Wagenaar>>>> _______________________________________________> vdr mailing list> vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr>>
Yes, I've heard som nice things about XBMC lately so maybe I'll check it out. My second look at Myth didn't impress me more than it did five years ago. I think I'll stick to VDR awhile longer mostly since I know it in and out, and that I think highly of Klaus. Installing Myth was the same as it was last time and I couldn't even get it to lock with my multiproto drivers. I had hoped that Myth had more documentation by now and that it would be a lot easier to install, but I guess I was wrong. I couldn't find anything that matches Reinhard's Howto's for instance. It seems most Myth users install distro packages, but I prefer compiling "bleeding edge" myself. And that's what it takes to get VDPAU running. I don't have time for this right now so I'll just wait for Christmas and hope that by then I can have VDR with native .ts, h.264 and S2API (although I fully understand that Klaus has issues with it!) and xine with VDPAU. And maybe XBMC together with some trick lirc-controlled scripts to switch between that and VDR.If not, maybe I'll have another go at Myth. But I hope I won't have to.../Magnus H