Re: VDR on Fedora recommended window manager

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Simon Baxter <linuxtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running VDR-1.6.0 and vdr-xine on my Fedora 6 box, and am moving into
> Fedora 9.

Perhaps you could hold out for 11 days? Fedora 10 is due then.

> I've always had problems with a lack of real understanding on window
> managers, so have put up with GDM under Fedora 6, but Fedora 9 has some real
> nasty "clever" stuff that just simply needs disabling.

What is this clever stuff?

> Can anyone suggest a howto, or can guide me on how to circumvent this
> entirely?  Basically I need to:
>
> 1) auto log into 'vdruser'
> 2) start xine
>
> That's it.  Everything else is done behind the scenes, and I can handle.
>
> Can anyone help?

I apologize that I cannot give a simple howto for Fedore since I use
Ubuntu myself, but I guess the same approach should work. What I did,
was as follows:

1. Remove all Gnome related packages
2. Install slim (http://slim.berlios.de/index.php)
3. Install fluxbox (http://fluxbox.org/)

Both of those can be found in Ubuntu repositories, but I used the
git/cvs/svn/hg versions. Slim can be configured to do autologin with
your favorite user and fluxbox in turn can be configured to start your
favorite applications by modifying its startup file
(http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Editing_the_startup_file).

This is of course only one solution, but in my opinion it is easy and
versatile enough.

-Petri