Re: Freeview+ aka TV-Anytime Patch (updated)

On Tuesday 07 Oct 2008, Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 11:11 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > I don't think it makes any sense to put actual channel numbers into
> > each channel's line in channels.conf. For one, what if different
> > providers want to use the same channel numbers? And: what if channels
> > are moved around, inserted or deleted?
>
> It might not make sense in your environment.
>
> In the UK and here in Australia there are fixed, advertised channel
> numbers.
>
> It makes sense if something is advertised as being on channel 20, then
> pressing '2' and then '0' should tune to that channel.  "Makes sense"
> means that "I can describe it to my wife".

Exactly. However, I do see Klaus's point too, and I always had visions of
it never being in core vdr! If I had hundreds of satellite channels
carefully organised, I'd be a tad hacked off if something "helpfully"
renumbered them for me!!

This is the sort of feature which would be ideal as a plugin, i.e. only
those who are interested need to compile and use it. As to whether it is
possible to obtain the relevant LCN info from the DVB stream is possible
from a plugin or not (I'd have thought a patch would be needed for this
but haven't looked yet), or whether it is possible to renumber channels
from a plugin.

I think I gave up before when I didn't see an easy cChannel.Renumber()
function or similar but I could be misremembering.

> > The channel numbers are implicitly derived from the position of each
> > channel in the channels.conf file. Offsets can be suggested with
> > :@nnn lines, but are only hints and may be ignored if there are too
> > many channels before them to actually implement the desired numbers.
>
> Maybe I should try to explain this to my wife instead?

;-)

As I say, I tend to check the numbering every now and then and reorder
channels.conf by hand inserting lots of :@nnn place holders.

Cheers,

Laz