Re: High cpu usage with vdr-xine

Op Wo, 1 oktober, 2008 13:59, schreef serge pecher:
>  Hello,
> -- SNIP --
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 + a S2-3200 on a P4 3 Ghz, 1GB ram
>
> When I play SD channels I have a cpu usage of +/- 20-30%
>
> When I try Simul HD I can see the CPU usage slowly going up to +/- 95 %,
> after what xine crashes

Are you using the SVN version from Xine? Or the stable 1.1.x releases? You
might want to try the 1.1.x releases instead. SVN is bleeding edge and can
sometimes result in ackward unstability.

Anyway. Perhaps an optimized build of ffmpeg and xine-lib. Also, I can't
really tell if a P4 3.0Ghz is fast enough. A DualCore is adviced for
viewing HDTV.

In both cases. You might want to experiment with the CoreAVC dshowserver
plugin for Xine (link was posted a few days ago). While you have a
single-core CPU, CoreAVC is much more faster then FFMpeg.

In my case, my Core2Duo didn't go above the 100% resulting in dropouts of
frames and audio in combination with FFMpeg. Now I'm testing with the
CoreAVC dshowserver plugin for Xine, and I can now see my cores being used
and the image (and Xine!) producte stable results.

BTW, CoreAVC is an Windows plugin. But you can use it in combination with
the dshowserver patch/enhancement. CoreAVC is not free though, it costs
around ? 10,- ($15,-) but in imho, worth the money.

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar