Graphlcd anyone?

Hello,
I just acquired a dirt cheap lcd (see http://picframe.spritesserver.nl)
to complement my vdr machine, so I'm using the graphlcd plugin to drive it.
Instead of writing a graphlcd driver, I just configured it to use the
network driver then I wrote a simple client to drive the display.
This is working quite well, but I have some questions about the plugin:

1) the project doesn't seem maintained: I took the svn version and still
I had to crudely hack it to work with a recent vdr (my system encoding
is utf-8 and the hack was simply to convert the osd messages to
iso-8859-1 in the graphlcd plugin)

2) it's only black and white and it doesn't seem easy to adapt it to use
colors (besides just using black and white)

I also took a look at the graphtft plugin, which manages color but I
don't think it's suited to a small display (mine is 128x128), besides I
cannot understand its documentation (it's only in german).

Bye
--
Luca