Re: vdr 1.6.0 device selection order for recordings

On Tuesday 16 September 2008, Malte Forkel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded from vdr 1.4.7 to vdr 1.6.0 (from the e-tobi.net
> experimental repository). That has changed the order in which devices are
> selected for recording significantly. Now, the only card with the CAM is
> selected first when recording non-encrypted channels, preventing later
> timers from recording encrypted channels.
>
> This is my hardware setup:
>   DVB1: full-featured card (Hauppauge WinTV DVB-C rev 2.X)
>   DVB2: budget card with CI and CAM (TerraTec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C)
>   DVB3: budget card (TerraTec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C)
>
> As a test, I started tree recordings on non-encrypted channels, one after
> the other. With vdr 1.4.7, these recordings use DVB3, DVB1, and DVB2,
> sparing the card with the CAM as long as possible. With vdr 1.6.0, the
> recordings use DVB2 (!), DVB3, and DVB1, but using the the card with the
> CAM first. So one recording of a non-encrypted channels blocks all
> encrypted channels.

I think I ran into a similar problem earlier myself.  I have only two cards;
one DVB-C TT budget (without CI/CAM) and one DVB-C Hauppauge FF with CI/CAM,
and a DXR3 as the primary device.

I haven't run into this problem in a while, but I'm not sure why - it might be
that I swapped the cards' PCI slots or maybe I just haven't had a scenario
where this would bite in a while.

But anyway, I agree that VDR should save the CAM for last.

And as a nice addition to that, perhaps even change the card used for a
recording on the fly if that's what it takes to get all needed programs
recorded, for example:

Timer 1: 20:00-21:00, non-encrypted
Timer 2: 20:30-21:30, non-encrypted (different MUX/$something than timer 1)
Timer 3: 21:00-22:00, encrypted

Card A: no CAM (can in theory do timers 1 and 2)
Card B: CAM (can in theory do timers 1, 2 and 3)

So, card A starts recording timer 1.  Then, card B starts recording timer 2
(because it's on a different $something than timer 1, so card A can't take
care of it simultaneously with timer 1).  When timer 3 starts, timer 2 would
be changed on the fly to continue recording on card A, and card B would start
recording timer 3.