Re: VDR Development

Georg Acher <acher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also don't think that a vdr-repository would help in the development
> speed. Either the whole development procedure needs to be changed
> (more maintainer with KLS's approval) or it has no advantage compared
> to the .tgz-distribution.

maybe using git, where you can pull into your own repository for privat
vdr hacking and let other people check it out may be worth a thought.

> But I think the repository stuff is only marginal. The design itself
> matters. When looking at the experiences at Reel, there are some
> things to be considered in the (far) future of vdr 2.0:

full ack.

> - vdr has grown/evolved since 2000, but is still based in its design
> on the FF card and its capabilities. There are now different signal
> source setups (LNBs, rotor, multiproto, mixed tuners or shared
> tuners/CAMs like in the NetCeiver, and not forgetting the IPTV
> variants), various output types and devices (FF, DXR3, HDE, X11, ...)
> and especially more expectations what a PC-based STB should be able
> to do (playback of other media, "home automatisation", etc.).

i always wondered why dvb support was directly compiled in while other
back and frontends were supposed to be plugins. this clearly leaves a
sign that dvb is the "preferd" plattform.

> - It allows no real server/client distinction. It is quite common to
> have a real file server somewhere in the house, but it's hard to get
> a vdr running on it and viewing on other clients. Even the recordings
> sharing of two vdrs is not that easy (touch update here and
> there...). One of the main advantages of Unix was resource sharing
> and distribution in heterogenous networks (like X over network), but
> vdr is currently focused only on "its" platform.

for me the biggest obstacle so far in many years of vdr usage. i have
already layed down CAT5 into the living room, why do i still have to
connect directly to the satelite dish to get flawless live viewing?

> - Based on the long evolution history, vdr IMO also has some design
> problems. Every object interacts with each other, I'm personally lost
> in the inheritance-graph of dozens of identically named
> Get/Put/Add/Del/Action/Process-calls. Also the main loop (almost
> 1500LOC) is a bit fat ;-) This makes it hard for newcomers and
> potential contributors. I guess that there are only very few people
> that actually know what is going on in the
> device/devbdevice/remux/libsi-core.

not only that, but also are many standard containers reimplemented in
the core source that increase LOC count for no good, at least i can't
see it.

> I still favour vdr over mythTV or MCE, because their neglect the TV
> side. But we have to face it: Radio is dying already. Old fashioned
> TV over antenna is also getting more and more unimportant and is
> merged with other data sources (IPTV, internet radio, podcasts, ...).
> Full convergence is no "if", it's a "when".

yes, there is currently no better software for watching, recording and
replaying TV if one uses vdr with a FF card.

best regards ...
clemens