Re: VDR Development

Laz <laz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have always been impressed with the quality of the source code for
> vdr. It's the first proper C++ application I've had course to look
> through in any detail (many, many years of pure C behind me, though!)
> and I've pretty much learned all of the C++ I know from Klaus's
> well-laid out source code!

i, by no means, want to question klaus' competence as a coder, but to
call VDR proper C++ sounds really strange to me. i can accept the
source formatting as being a thing of personal taste, maybe even
hungarian notation, something i personally find unbearable and wrong
from the ground up, but the refusal to use the STL in a C++ project
leaves me dumbfounded.

i CAN absolutly understand why klaus codes VDR as he does. writing a
string class or a linked list is fun sometimes and as long as VDR stays
a one man show it is only up to him to decide. keeping the closed
development process makes things much easier for him and avoids
long arguments about personal preferences. if i had an GPL project that
size, i would probably do the same. do i like the way VDR is developed?
hell, no! nevertheless it is, what it is. a very usable and stable
program for watching, recording and replaying TV shows with a dvb card.

> If a new feature is needed, a lot can be achieved with plugins, or
> create a patch and forward on to Klaus and the list.

maintaining patches over multiple revisions in a coding style that is
orthogonal to your own, waiting for it to get eventually merged
upstream some day, is not something many peaople like.

just my 2 cents ...
clemens