Re: RGB/PAL over VGA at variable frame rate

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:09:29PM +0200, Thomas Hilber wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:51:13PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > A bit off topic.. Does any of the video players for Linux switch to a
> > resolution/modeline with a different refresh rate when watching a movie to
> > get perfect synchronization and no tearing?
>
> some time ago I accidentally stumbled across these options in my outdated
> xineliboutput version:
>
> xineliboutput.VideoModeSwitching = 1
> xineliboutput.Modeline =
>
> maybe these are intended for this purpose? I didn't care yet.

Ok. Sounds like it..

although "xineliboutput.Modeline" sounds a bit like it only wants to change to
one specific modeline..

> > An example.. your desktop might be at 70 hz refresh rate in normal use (ok,
> > maybe it's 60 hz nowadays with LCD displays), and when you start watching
> > PAL TV it would be better to have your display at 50 hz or 100 hz to get
> > perfect output.. and then, when you start seeing a 24 fps movie, it would be
> > best to have your display in 72 hz mode (3*24).. etc.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRandR is what you are looking for. At
> least when talking about Xservers with that capability. Don't know how
> well it's supported by today's VDR output plugins.

Thanks.

I knew new xservers are able to change resolution/modeline on the fly
nowadays.. but didn't remember it was XRandR extension doing it :)

-- Pasi